History of Aspen Grove
The late Eugene L. Roberts began using the area of Aspen Grove for the starting point of the annual Timp Hike in 1911, first linking Brigham Young University (BYU) with Aspen Grove. About 10 years later, the Stewart family donated approximately 35 acres of this land to BYU.
In 1922, BYU scheduled the Alpine Summer School at Aspen Grove. Both staff and students lived in tents and studied botany, zoology, and geology. A kitchen, dining hall, and three dormitories were erected in 1923. Later, during World War II, summer school was abandoned at Aspen Grove for various war-related reasons.
Raymond Beckham, director of the BYU Alumni Association, became interested in using Aspen Grove as an alumni family camp in 1956. The project was approved at a board meeting held on October 10, 1962. More than 111 alumni were approached, and each signed a personal note for $1000 to finance construction.
Construction began in the fall of 1962. The swimming pool was excavated, the softball field leveled, sewer lines started, cabin sites selected, and camp roads established. The camp's popular dinner bell came from a 3500 series coal-fired steam engine donated by the Union Pacific Railroad. The camp opened for business July 13, 1963. During the first years of camp, Aspen Grove served approximately eight families each week.
Aspen Grove has been in operation since 1963, over 50 seasons, and has grown to an average occupancy of 80 families per week. The camp personnel serve as hosts to thousands of guests each year.