Planning Your Youth Conference
We know questions come up as wards and stakes plan their Aspen Grove Youth Conference. Use this guide to find answers to many of your questions. Please feel free to give our office a call if your questions aren't answered here, (801) 225-9554.
Book your Youth Conference at Aspen Grove! Check dates of scheduled Youth Conferences, and call to make your reservation, (801) 225-9554. You can book your Youth Conference approximately one year in advance.
Winter Youth Conferences are held from January through mid-March, Spring Youth Conferences are held from mid-March through May, and Fall Youth Conferences are typically held in November.
In order to book, you will need the following information:
- the dates you would like to reserve
- the name of your ward/stake
- an approximate count of youth and leaders planning to attend
- contact information for the individual planning your conference
- a credit card to pay your $500 non-refundable and non-transferable deposit
The deposit due upon booking will be applied to your total balance. Due to the fact your reservation precludes other groups from booking, this deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable. This deposit is different than the damage deposit.
Our Youth Conferences fill in quickly, so the earlier you call the more likely it is you will be able to come on your ward/stake’s desired date!
Aspen Grove is large enough to accommodate multiple wards and stakes at the same time. Meals will be with other wards or stakes in the dining hall. Many wards/stakes will plan to combine for activities.
We invite scheduled wards/stakes to attend information meetings held on site at Aspen Grove in preparation for Youth Conference. The meeting typically takes about an hour and a half. Both adult advisors and youth leaders are invited to attend this meeting. At these meetings we provide additional information, host a question and answer session, provide a tour of our facilities, and provide an opportunity for wards and stakes attending the same Youth Conference to meet together in order to plan combined activities.
If you have booked a Youth Conference with us, you are welcome to attend any scheduled meeting. Please keep in mind you will only be able to meet with other wards/stakes attending your Youth Conference if you come to your specifically scheduled meeting.
If you are unable to attend any of the scheduled meetings, please call our office to schedule a tour for your ward/stake, (801) 225-9554.
Youth Conference Dates
All November 2016 Dates
Saturday October 15, 2016, 9:30 am
January 6 to February 4, 2017
Saturday, November 19, 2016, 9:30 am
February 24 to March 25, 2017
Saturday, November 19, 2016, 12:00 pm
April 14 to May 13, 2017
Saturday, March 11, 2017, 9:30 am
- final headcount; divided by YM, YW, YM leaders, and YW leaders
- a list of any food allergies
- refreshment orders (see options & pricing)
- audiovisual equipment orders (see options & pricing)
- a copy of your schedule (see sample schedule)
- final payment, preferably paid via credit card
Please be aware final payment will be calculated on the actual headcount or the guaranteed count, whichever is greater.
If you’re prepared, it only takes a few minutes to check in.
If parents of youth would like a phone number to contact their youth, please provide them with your phone number as Aspen Grove staff will not always be able to locate the youth.
Only white sticky tack may be used to hang pictures and door tags. Tape, including blue painting tape, is not to be used on Aspen Grove walls and doors.
Winter conferences (January and March) are scheduled on a Thursday-Saturday when many local school districts are out of school. Check-in is at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, and checkout is by 11:00 a.m. on Saturday.
Spring conferences (usually held at the end of May) are scheduled on a Tuesday-Thursday, when many local school districts are out for the summer. Check-in is at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, lodging checkout is by 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, and camp checkout is by 11:00 a.m. on Thursday.
- Sleeping bag
- Scriptures and journal
- Gloves, hat, coat, boots (for Winter conference)
- Jacket or sweatshirt (for Spring/Fall conference)
- Flashlight and batteries
We also recommend each participant be told in advance to leave laptops and all other electronic devices at home, as they will prevent youth from fully participating in the youth conference programs.
Please give parents wanting to contact their youth your cell phone number, as Aspen Grove staff does not always know your exact location.
Your ward/stake will be responsible for planning all workshops and activities.
We have prepared sample schedules to assist you in your preparation. You are welcome to plan your Youth Conference however you’d like; this is just a suggestion to get you started. Please note meal times and cross-country ski/snowshoe times (Winter only) are set by Aspen Grove. You will need to plan activities around set times.
We encourage you to plan noisy or interactive activities prior to dinner. You will be assigned a conference room adjacent to other wards/stakes for the duration of your conference. Many wards/stakes will plan quiet devotionals after dinner. If you are planning noisier activities after dinner, please be sensitive to other groups nearby. Please inform our office of any events that may be disruptive to other groups so we can more effectively collaborate ward/stake schedules, (801) 225-9554.
Names and email addresses of contacts for other wards/stakes will be provided at the Information Meeting. If you miss the meeting, this information will be mailed to you the following week.
If you plan to combine with other wards/stakes, please include this information with the final details you submit 2 weeks prior to your arrival in camp.
If planning a combined dance, Aspen Grove will provide the facility. This facility will be available for setup after 8:00 p.m. You will be responsible for coordinating with other wards/stakes, and also for providing a DJ for your dance. If fog is used, it must be water-based, and any decorations must be hung with white sticky tack.
Meals will be served at set times. Please schedule your activities and workshops around these set times. Your punctuality is important, as we are trying to serve many youth.
Please notify our office in advance of any food allergies. Our food service staff will do their best to accommodate your needs. Upon your arrival in camp, please encourage the individual(s) with food allergies to introduce themselves to our Chef. The Chef will assist those with dietary needs to ensure a positive experience. Individuals with severe or multiple food allergies may need to bring food to supplement what Aspen Grove provides.
- Rice Crispy Squares: (full sheet 80 cut) $30.00
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: $5.89/dozen
- Mini Cinnamon Roll: (1.5 oz) $5.00/dozen
- Danish Pastry: (1.5 oz) $7.00/dozen
- Quaker Chewy Granola Bar: $0.60/each
- One Gallon of Hot Chocolate: $8.99 - includes cups
- One Gallon of Lemonade: $4.99 - includes cups
- Ice Cream Bars: (2.75 oz Fat Boy Jr) $0.65/each
- Bulk Candy: (Trail Mix, Swedish Fish, Peanut M&Ms, or Reese's Pieces) $5.00/lb
- Frito-Lay Chips: (1 oz bag - potato chips, Fritos, Doritos) $0.70/each
- Red Vine Licorice: (4 lb/tub) $11.00/tub
- Basketball, 6 hoops, basketballs provided, lights available in evenings
- Shuffleboard, 2 courts, equipment provided, lights available in evenings
- Horseshoes, 2 sets, equipment provided
- Ball Field, large open grass field perfect for flag football, ultimate Frisbee, etc.
- Racquetball, 2 indoor courts, equipment provided, lights available in evenings
- Walleyball, 2 indoor courts, equipment provided, played in Racquetball courts
- Badminton, 2 courts, equipment provided, lights available in evenings
- Frisbee Golf, Frisbees provided
- Tennis, 2 courts, rackets and balls provided, lights available in evenings
- Hi-Ball, 2 4-person trampoline basketball areas
- Hiking, many great hiking trails start near Aspen Grove
- Miniature Golf, golf balls and clubs provided, lights available in evenings
- Sand Pit Volleyball, net and volleyball provided, lights available in evenings
- Swimming, certified lifeguard present, schedule times in advance
- Aspen Follies, relay/teambuilding activities, conducted by Aspen Grove staff on Ball Field
Anonymous questions to the Bishop
Power of the Priesthood
The Challenge and Pressure of Being a Mormon
Minute-to-Win-It games in light of gospel principles
Jeopardy gameshow with Temples and General Authorities
You and the Hereafter
Modern Day Prophecy
Communicating Through Prayer
Music and Its Effect on You
Coping with Today's Problems
Principles of Leadership
Raising Your Parents (Family Communication)
What am I Worth?
Success on a Date
Improving Your Grace and Talents
How to be You
How to Improve Your Memory
Making the Most of Your 24 Hours
Personality - Becoming a More Likeable You
Communication - Are You Listening to Me?
Your Personal Charm
Write thank you cards
Knit hats with hat looms
Assemble hygiene kits
Write letters to missionaries
Tie fleece quilts
Write letters to servicemen/women
Assemble school kits
Other ideas can be found on the Church's Humanitarian website.
Bedding will not be provided. Please remind youth and leaders to bring a sleeping bag, pillow, and towel.
Bishopric members will stay in gender-specific lodging assigned to the ward.
When you check out of your assigned lodging facilities, simply leave the keys on the dresser and remove all personal belongings from the room.Contact our office with any questions about lodging for your Youth Conference, (801) 225-9554.
Your ward/stake will be provided a meeting room for the duration of your scheduled conference. Your conference room will be adjacent to other wards/stakes. Aspen Grove assigns meeting rooms based on final numbers of wards/stakes attending your Youth Conference. You will receive your meeting room assignment at least one week prior to your arrival in camp.
The room will be set up theater-style upon your arrival, according to your guaranteed headcount. You are welcome to rearrange the room throughout the conference. There will be a piano or keyboard available in your room, and a small stack of hymnbooks can be provided upon request.
Aspen Grove is typically unable to provide additional rooms due to the number of groups in camp. If you'd like an additional room, please include this information in the final details you submit and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Audiovisual equipment may be rented for your Youth Conference by the day. You can check availability and pricing of equipment here. You are also welcome to bring your own audiovisual equipment into camp.
Contact our office with any questions about conference rooms for your Youth Conference, (801) 225-9554.
Winter activities (January through mid-March)
When you book you will schedule a cross-country ski/snowshoe time for your ward or stake. Each individual will choose one activity. Because of equipment availability, at least 1/3 of your group must snowshoe. Participants should dress for winter weather, and those planning to snowshoe should bring their own snow appropriate shoes for snowshoes to be strapped to. Please decide in advance who will ski and who will snowshoe. At check-in you will be given further instructions, and will need this information handy.
There are four available ski/snowshoe times: 8:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., and 2:30 p.m. This activity will take approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes. There are no trail guides available, but leaders will be provided with a trail map and Aspen Grove trails are well-groomed.
You may also plan to go sledding while in camp. Your ward/stake will need to provide sleds. Snowboards are not permitted at Aspen Grove.
**Please note the availability of snow activities depends upon the snow level. The Aspen Grove manager on duty during your Youth Conference will make judgment calls pertaining to the availability/safety of certain activities.
Spring/Fall activities (November, mid-March through May)
Aspen Grove has many outdoor sporting facilities, which will be made available pending weather conditions.
The following activities may be available for all Fall/Spring Youth Conferences, pending weather conditions.
The following activities may also be available near the end of May, pending weather conditions.
In addition to these activities, large group games such as giant checkers and giant twister may be reserved in advance by calling our office, (801) 225-9554.
Ropes course activities may also be available for Fall/Spring Conferences at an additional charge of up to $7 per person. To learn more and check availability, please contact our office at (801) 225-9554.
The following activities are only available for the 2-night conference at the end of May, and are dependent upon weather conditions.
- Because of a service contract BYU has with Coca-Cola, only Coke products (including soda, juice, sports drinks, and bottled water) can be served at Aspen Grove.
- The use or possession of narcotics or alcoholic beverages on camp property is forbidden and is a violation of state law.
- Firearms or explosives are not permitted in camp.
- Cooking and use of coil-resistant appliances are not permitted in sleeping units.
- Climbing in and out of windows and/or removing screens from windows is not allowed.
- Aspen Grove does not assume responsibility for lost or stolen property.
- Water fights, water balloons, or shaving cream fights are not permitted.
- There must be established lights out and quiet hour times. We recommend midnight.
- No pets are allowed in camp.
- The camp reserves the right to enter housing units for purposes of inspection or repairs.
- No toilet papering. A $50.00 fine will be charged to the responsible ward or stake and they will be required to clean up the mess.
- Damaging, destroying, or defacing of housing units, furniture, or equipment on camp property is prohibited. Removal of camp property is prohibited. Groups responsible will be required to reimburse the camp for all such actions. A damage deposit for each ward and stake is required and will be refunded after the event if no damage has occurred during the Youth Conference.