Employee FAQ

  • Employee FAQ Image

Just get hired?  Have a question half way through the summer?  We hope you'll find the answers here.

Employment: Frequently Asked Questions

We hope the following will be helpful to you, as you begin working at Aspen Grove, or have questions throughout the summer.

How does the hiring process work? 

Students who don't currently hold a BYU position need to get hired at the Student Employment Office, located in room 2024 WSC to complete their I-9 form before their work begins. A list of documents needed to obtain an I-9 is at the link below. Students (not currently working at BYU and BYU non-students must have the I-9 documentation and be hired before the end of winter semester.

For non-BYU student employees the location to get hired is in room D-70 ASB - Staff Administrative Employment.


Student Employment under the Student-Jobs tab/FAQ/Working on Campus, "What do I need to get hired"

How do I setup direct deposit?

To sign up for Direct Deposit, go to the BYU Home Page:

  1. Enter Route Y by entering your Net ID and password.
  2. Select "Direct Deposit" under the "Work" heading.
  3. Select "Payroll Direct Deposit" (it is the second option on the page).
  4. Select "Add Account" if this is the first time you are setting up Direct Deposit, then press OK.
  5. Select Account Type (checking or savings; not broker, investment, or specialty accounts
  6. Type in your Routing Number (the 9 digit number on the bottom of your checks). Please call your financial institution if you are not sure what your routing transit number is.
  7. Type in your Account Number (bank account number, NOT credit or debit card number. Do not use dashes).
  8. Click on "Save".
  9. Optional: For a 2nd bank, choose "Add Account" and follow the same steps. You will be required to indicate a specific dollar amount only.
  10. If you are changing an existing account, do NOT add a new account, select "Edit" and enter a new routing and account number.

Do I need a food handlers permit and where do I get one?

The following positions require a Utah County Food Handlers Permit:

  • Dining Hall Host/Hostess
  • Dining Hall Coordinator
  • Cook
  • Cook/Receiver
  • Store Clerk
  • Romper Leaders (Program Counselor for 0-2 year olds)
  • Custodial
  • Office Secretary

To get the free Food Handlers Permit, do the following:

  1. Go to ytrain.byu.edu to receive the free training.
  2. Type Food Handlers Permit in "Keywords" on the home page and press search.
  3. The first item should be "Food Handlers Permit", click on it.
  4. A new window will pop up showing the section. Press "Enroll" at the bottom of the page.
  5. Launch the training as it appears. It will take approximately 140 minutes to take the course. Print your certificate of completion and give it to Jared Knight on your first day of employment or email it to him at Jared_Knight@byu.edu.

How do I complete my child protrection training?

  1. Go to ytrain.byu.edu to receive the free training.
  2. Type in "child protection" on the home page and press search.
  3. The first item should be "Child Protection Training", click on it.
  4. A new window will pop up. Press "Enroll" at the bottom of the page.
  5. Launch the training as it appears. It will take approximately 20 minutes to take the course.
  6. Print your certificate of completion and give it to Jared Knight on your first day of employment or email it to him at Jared_Knight@byu.edu.

What if I am currently working another job on campus?

Students must be done working at other jobs, including campus jobs, by the day their contract starts. Students cannot be employed at more than one job while in a summer contract at Aspen Grove.

Questions on My Contract and Paycheck

When does my contract begin & when do I start work?

Contracts begin on the first day of a new pay period of when your effective start date will be. Your effective start date will be determined by your manager. Your contract date is not necessarily going to be the day you start work as different positions start at different times. The last day of work for summer staff is Saturday, September 1, 2018. This is the first day of a new pay period, so you will receive your last paycheck on September 19, 2018. See question "When Does the Pay Period End for Year 2018?" below for a schedule of pay periods.

Where should I look to see how much my paycheck is?

To view a Paycheck, go to the BYU Human Resources Homepage at hrms.byu.edu and do the following:

  1. Login to your account by entering your Net ID and password.
  2. Go to "Self Service" under the "Main Menu" tab.
  3. Select "View Paycheck" under the "Payroll and Compensation" tab.
  4. On this page you can select and view a pdf of your paycheck.

What taxes are taken out when I work?

In addition to state and federal taxes, the FICA tax will be deducted from gross earnings, which is your pay before any type of tax is deducted. When a student is taking classes and working they are exempt from paying the FICA tax. Students working a summer job at Aspen Grove will not be enrolled in school and will have the FICA tax along with federal and state taxes automatically deducted from their pay, unless they are doing an internship.

What should I do if my bank account doesn't have the amount I think I should get paid?

If your bank account does not have the amount you think it should, you can view your paycheck at hrms.byu.edu and by following the steps under the question "Where should I look to see how much my paycheck is?" above. From here you will be able to see how much you earned, the taxes that were taken out of your paycheck, and the amount that was put into your bank account. If the amount in your account does not match your paycheck, contact your bank. Your money may have been put into a savings account, not checking. You are welcome to contact Jared Knight at Aspen Grove for assistance. (801)361-8312 or Jared_Knight@byu.edu.

Should I compare what I get paid to other staff at Aspen Grove?

Pay varies among staff based on job description and start dates.

When I have a question about my paycheck, who should I ask?

Your manager may have answers to basic paycheck questions but Jared Knight is available to answer employment questions. (801)361-8312 or Jared_Knight@byu.edu.

Am I able to keep my job on-campus while I work the summer at Aspen Grove?

No, you are not able to work another job while employed at Aspen Grove as summer camp staff. Summer camp staff are on a contract during their employment, and The Fair Labor Standards Act/University Policy prohibits students from working both an hourly job and a contracted position at the same time (this is for our summer camp positions). However, during the fall and winter seasons students can work two hourly positions concurrently as long as the combined amount is under 20 hours per week.

Are housing and meals deducted from my paycheck?

Housing and meals are NOT deducted out of your paycheck.

Being Registered for Fall Semester to Work

Do I have to be registered for fall semester to work at Aspen Grove?

Yes. During spring and summer students must be enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours for the following fall semester to work at Aspen Grove.

What if I want to go on a mission in the fall?

If you are deferring for a mission, WAIT to request your deferral until you know when you will be leaving on your mission and before the end of the semester in which you are due to enroll. You will not qualify to work at Aspen Grove once your deferral is in place. If you are currently working at Aspen Grove and defer, your termination is immediate, so it is very important that you stay registered for fall until you have exact departure dates. Before deferring, please contact Jared Knight at Aspen Grove immediately. (801)361-8312 or Jared_Knight@byu.edu.

Am I able to work during the fall semester at Aspen Grove?

Aspen Grove does hire students and sometimes non-students for fall semester to work hourly shifts around school schedules. Student staff may work up to 20 hours a week and non-students up to 28 hours per week.

Many of the staff live on-site and work regular hours during the week. Some staff are hired on and work "on-call" on the weekends for a few hours during September and October. Student staff can be hired on concurrent with another campus job during fall semester.

Where can I go to find out information concerning student employment?

Additional information is available at this link www.byu.edu/hr